i-D and Rihanna have today announced the launch of a special limited edition zine – a co-collaboration titled, ‘Rihannazine’.
Shot entirely by world renowned photographer Mario Sorrenti, the visually driven issue features forty-three people handpicked by Rihanna and i-D for their inspirational and progressive impact across culture, art, fashion and activism. The zine will be available globally from 27th January with a limited run of just 5,000 copies.
The 144 page zine forgoes all advertisements and puts the spotlight on some of the people leading the charge for change in 2020, such as:
- 2019 model-of-the-year Adut Akech, model and founder of Gurls Talk Adwoa Aboah, Anok Yai, Bella Hadid, Gigi Hadid, model and body advocate Paloma Elsesser and Ugbad Abdi
- Rising actress and star of HBO’s Euphoria, Alexa Demie
- Associate Curator of the Guggenheim Museum, Ashley James
- Musicians Kelela, Rico Nasty, Tommy Genesis, and rapper and entrepreneur Young M.A
- Writer, producer and actor Lena Waithe
- Choreographer, director and artist Parris Goebel
- Make-up artist and model Raisa Flowers
- Writers Roxane Gay and Zadie Smith
- Four time WNBA All-Star, Skylar Diggins-Smith
- Activist and founder of the Me Too movement, Tarana Burke
- Drag Queen and star of RuPaul’s Drag Race, Vanessa Vanjie Mateo
- Martin Luther King Jr.’s granddaughter, Yolanda Renee King, and many more.
“For me, this very special issue of i-D represents change and culture,” said Rihanna. “It is dedicated to some of the people who are progressively reshaping the communities across fashion, music, art, and activism — creating a more inclusive and diverse future.”
“Reaching this milestone deserved something monumental. Something we’ve never done before in our 40 year history. And who better to collaborate with on this special edition than the woman who embodies charisma, uniqueness, nerve and talent? A woman who is a voice for change, inclusivity, authenticity, diversity and female empowerment,” said Alastair McKimm, Editor-in-Chief of i-D. “Working with Rihanna we handpicked the people featured in this project for many different reasons; they may all represent different things but what unites them is that everyone featured in these pages is incredibly inspirational. They are artists, writers, activists, musicians and women on the front lines of the fashion industry demanding change.”
Alongside the zine, i-D has additionally created a series of videos featuring Gigi Hadid, Alexa Demie, Kelela, Lena Waithe and a host of contributors answering questions from Rihanna herself, from personal aspirations for 2020 to the one thing they’ve always wanted to ask her. The videos will be rolling out on i-D’s digital platforms every day this week.
From hand stapled zine to global fashion brand, i-D will mark this special 40th year milestone with a series of celebratory special projects, events and dedicated content on i-D.co throughout the year.
Presales for the zine available here